Thursday, March 26, 2015

End of Day 1, Stage 4

We ended the day with a visit to Hoover Dam.  We got there around 5:30pm and it was starting to get dark. The picture above shows the northern part of the dam (Lake Mead) and it also shows my black Shoei helmet (Shoei's are the best helmets, I highly recommend them). The picture shows that the water level is low; look at the "bathtub ring" (a high-water mark) created by the drought. I took this picture from the Arizona side of the dam.    
Only Fernando and I went to see the bottom of the dam. Jorge and Aradio were too tired to walk from the parking lot to the dam (riding a motorcycle all day can get tiring).
I've always wanted to visit this iconic American site. I was really stoked when we got there.
In this picture you can see "The Mike O'Callaghan–Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge" and its unique arch (I'm on the left and Fernando is on the right). Both the view of the dam and the bridge were stunning. The size of both of these projects is impressive (from an engineering stand point it was great). As soon as it got dark we left and headed to the western part of the Grand Canyon. It took us another two hours to get to the West Rimm.

No comments:

Post a Comment